It’s been horrible weather the last few days, but today was glorious again! My kids and I spent hours today at a park, throwing balls around and having a lunch of fish and chips with my aunty. I took some lovely photos, came home, uploaded them to my computer then deleted them from my phone only to discover that there had been an error uploading them and I lost the whole lot!
Yesterday I made a padded Kindle cover. I’m very much a beginner as sewing, so I’m making mistakes as I’m going along, but am also learning about what not to do. I used this pattern – Padded Gadget Cover – it was simple to follow and it came out lovely. However I made three mistakes along the way:
* I used patterned fabric and for the outside I accidentally sewed one side the wrong way up – its not terribly important, but the owl in the print is upside down.
* My measurements were off so its too wide for my Kindle – I can still use it, but I think it would be better being not so wide.
* Speaking of measurements, I need to be far more accurate with mine, some bits are a bit off (i.e. the lining doesn’t match up with the outside).
Still, I’m very happy with it! I used thin quilting batting instead of fusible fleece used in the pattern, and it came out fine. I sewed a hair elastic into the lining to close it by hooking it around the button.
Next I made a little lined coin purse (tutorial here ) as I wanted to try inserting a zip.
I got everything ready for sewing (carefully measuring everything this time!) then when I went to change the foot on the sewing machine to a zipper foot I discovered that I had misplaced it somewhere. I was determined to try it though so sewed as close as I could to the zip, but as you can see it didn’t work. However, I was pleased with the rest of it, as I now know how to insert a zip into a lined item.
And a photo of my “helper” – she came and sat out in the sun with me while I took these photos. She’s 17 but still going strong.